Discover your connection – to your gut!

If you could only choose one thing, one body system to focus on to improve your overall health, it would hands down be to improve the health of your gut! Most people have now heard of the billions and billions of tiny microorganisms (mostly bacteria) that populate your gut, i.e. your micro biome. These microorganisms out number the total number of cells in your body 100 to 1! We have a symbiotic relationship with these microbes; however, scientists are only now discovering just how influential the state of these microorganisms are in connection to our overall health. 

Of these microorganisms, roughly 85 percent are of the beneficial kind, leaving 15 percent to the more harmful variety. This 85/15 ratio is a healthy balance – everyone naturally contains bad bacteria in their body, fortunately the good bacteria have the ability to keep the bad in check! However, when your bad bacteria start to creep up in numbers and start to take over your gut, this is when health problems will arise. This imbalance of good and bad bacteria is called “Dysbiosis”.

The best way to achieve good gut health is to keep a healthy bacterial balance. One excellent way promote a healthy micro biome is to introduce fermented foods into your diet. Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha introduce different strains of good bacteria into your gut (probiotics), repopulating your body with beneficial microorganisms.

Don’t stop with probiotics though! Just as you need to eat, so do your bacteria! These tiny organisms feed off of undigested fibers known as “prebiotics”, they are found in foods such as garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, dandelion greens, asparagus and onions. These fibers make their way through your digestive system intact, until they reach your large intestine where they serve as fuel for your microorganisms, allowing your healthy bacteria to thrive.

Improving your gut health by introducing both pre and probiotics, and of course consuming a whole foods diet, you will notice many great benefits including greater energy, clearer skin, better hormone balance, improved mood and overall - better vitality!

About the Author:

 Melissa is a Holistic Nutritionist living on the beautiful Vancouver Island of British Columbia. She is the creator of Wildwoods Nutrition, a plant-based nutrition consulting company where she helps her clients discover a deeper connection to their health and wellbeing though a nutrient dense, environmentally sustainable, and compassionate way of eating. You can find out more about plant-based diets by visiting  www.wildwoodsnutrition.com .

Melissa is a Holistic Nutritionist living on the beautiful Vancouver Island of British Columbia. She is the creator of Wildwoods Nutrition, a plant-based nutrition consulting company where she helps her clients discover a deeper connection to their health and wellbeing though a nutrient dense, environmentally sustainable, and compassionate way of eating. You can find out more about plant-based diets by visiting www.wildwoodsnutrition.com.

MotherLove Ferments