How to Make Kombucha Hand Lotion
Did you know you can substitute kombucha for water in most of your homemade beauty products? Kombucha has many internal detox benefits and the same is true of using the tea topically. It also can help improve the skin's elasticity. This is because your hair and skin have an acid mantle that greatly benefits from the acidity found in kombucha. Here's a recipe for our favourite hand lotion.
Kombucha Hand Lotion
1/2 cup kombucha
1/2 cup aloe vera gel
1/2 tsp vitamin E
3/4 cup oils (combination of grapeseed, avocado, macadamia, etc. )
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 - 1 oz beeswax or 1/3 cup grated and packed
1 tsp cocoa butter or shea butter
30 drops essential oil
1. Combine the kombucha, aloe vera and vitamin Ein a glass measuring cup. Set aside.
2. In a double boiler, over low heat, combine the oils, beeswax and cocoa or shea butter. Heat them just enough to melt.
3. Pour the heated mixture into a blender or glass bowl and let them cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, semi-solid and cream coloured.
4. Add 30 drops of essential oil at this time.
5. When the mixture has cooled, turn on the blender at it's highest speed. In a slow, thin stream pour the water mixture into the centre of the oil mixture. Stop and scrape the sides often until it looks thick and white.
6. Pour into glass jars and store in a cool location.
The lotion will thicken as it sits.
Apply and enjoy!